To make a long story short. When Aaron Draplin made the very first Field Notes by hand, as a holiday gift for friends, they looked pretty much like these. These original 48-page memo books, available in three variations, Graph, Ruled, or Plain, as well as a Mixed 3-Pack that includes one of each type.
Field Notes Kraft Memo books, to make a long story short, are kind of where it all began. When Aaron Draplin made the very first Field Notes by hand, as a holiday gift for friends, they looked pretty much like these. When the Field Notes company started, we had only one product, a 3-Pack of Kraft Memo Books with graph paper insides. And they expect, they’ll always have those as the heart of our product line.
Field Notes Kraft original 48-page memo books are available in three variations, Graph, Ruled, or Plain, as well as a Mixed 3-Pack that includes one of each type. Each Original Kraft memo book measures 3-1/2″ wide by 5-1/2″ tall and is bound by a rugged three-staple saddle-stitch process.
Field Notes Kraft Memo Books specifications;
- Proudly printed by the good people of Service Graphics, Inc., Oakbrook Terrace, Ill.
- Cover: French Dur-O-Tone 80#C “Packing Brown Wrap,” with a thick, brute force, 1-color application of “Dachshund Nose” black soy-based Toyo ink.
- Innards: Finch Paper Opaque Smooth 60#T “Bright White,” with a fine, 1-color application of “Double Knee Duck Canvas” light brown soy-based Toyo ink.
- Cover printed on a Mitsubishi Diamond Series 40″ 6-color printing press.
- Innards printed on a Miller TP104 28″ × 40″ 2-color printing press.
- Bound by a Heidelberg ST350 “Stitchmaster” 8-pocket saddle stitcher, with appreciation to Samuel Slocum, George W. McGill, and William J. Brown, the “Founding Fathers of the Staple.”
- Corners precisely rounded to 3/9″ (9.5mm) by a CRC round-corner machine.
- Graph grid: 3/16″ × 3/16″ (4.7mm x 4.7mm). Ruled lines: 1/4″ (6.4mm). Crisp plain paper. 48 Pages.
- Memo book dimensions are 3-1/2″ x 5-1/2″ (89mm x 140mm).
- Field Notes uses only the Futura typeface family (Paul Renner, 1927) in its materials.
- All Field Notes memo books are printed and manufactured in the U.S.A.