Field Notes Haxley Story Book & Sketch Books 2pk
Chicago-area illustrator/poster maker Jay Ryan is an old Field Notes friend. He’s a craftsman with great visual style – you can see his work at The Bird Machine. For years Field Notes have been looking for a way to collaborate with Jay.
One month, Jay set himself a goal of creating one small ink illustration each day. These drawings revealed a story about a bear and his squirrel neighbours. Field Notes followed Jay’s progress on Instagram, and found the drawings irresistible. They knew that they’d look great in a special Field Notes edition.
The “Haxley” edition includes two 64-page books. The first is a “Story Book,” featuring ruled pages alongside Jay’s 31 black-and-white drawings. You can expand on Haxley’s adventure, or, just maybe, recount a completely different journey, one you make yourself.
The other book in the 2-Pack has blank pages, so can be used a sketchbook, a doodle book, or for your usual jotting and writing.
Both books feature Neenah Royal Sundance Felt “Warm White” covers with four spot colours and a fifth-glow-in-the-dark ink, illuminating the flashlight beams. They’re PUR-bound with Domtar Cougar smooth 70# “Natural” text paper inside.
- Proudly printed by the good people of eDOC Communications, Mount Prospect, Ill.
- Cover: Neenah Royal Sundance Felt 100#C “Warm White,” with a thick, brute force application of four soy-based Saphira inks.
- Innards: Domtar Cougar 70#T “Natural,” with a fine, 3-color application of soy-based Saphira inks.
- Cover and innards printed on a Heidelberg Speedmaster XL 105 40″ 6-color press.
- Glow-in-the-dark ink screen-printed at H&H Graphics, Vernon Hills, Ill.
- Bound by Specialty Finishing Group, Elk Grove Village, Ill., with the Wohlenberg Quickbinder PUR system with Henkel TechnoMelt PUR 3365 and GA 007A glues.
- Corners rounded to a 3/8″ (9.5mm) radius with a Challenge SCM corner-rounder.
- Ruled lines (“Story Book” only): approx. 1/4″ (6.4mm). (“Sketch Book” is blank)
- Memo book dimensions are 3–1/2″× 5–1/2″ (89mm × 140mm).
- Characters and images herein are the property of THE BIRD MACHINE, INC.
- FIELD NOTES uses only the Futura typeface family (Paul Renner, 1927) in its materials.
- All FIELD NOTES memo books are printed and manufactured in the U.S.A.
- UPC: 858493003653